**SAVE THE DATE**
2020 Mid-Atlantic Ocean Forum
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House
1 Bowling Green, New York City
*Check back soon for additional details*
To engage the diverse interests in the region and enhance the vitality of the region’s ocean ecosystem and economy, the MARCO states and a partnership of federal agencies, tribal entities and the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council have formed the Mid-Atlantic Committee on the Ocean (MACO). The Committee will convene an annual Mid-Atlantic Ocean Forum, as resources allow, as a venue for regional information sharing, coordination and collaboration, and to enhance the region’s ability to leverage existing efforts and information across multiple state and federal government agencies, federally-recognized tribes, non-governmental entities and ocean stakeholders.
The Forum will identify and discuss existing and forthcoming challenges to the Mid-Atlantic’s ocean ecosystem and economy along with opportunities to collaborate, consistent with each entity’s mission and priorities. MARCO and other Forum organizers will focus on issues that have been identified as holding regional importance, such as:
- The collection and analysis of marine life and habitat data including shifts in ocean species distributions
- The reduction and prevention of marine debris
- The development of indicators to measure ocean health
- Increased consideration of the importance of non-consumptive recreation
- Ongoing dialogues on offshore renewable energy, coastal resilience and the beneficial reuse of sand resources
- The continued development of a comprehensive ocean acidification monitoring network and research plan
- Continued operations, maintenance and updating of the Mid-Atlantic Ocean Data Portal
- March 20, 2019: The first Mid-Atlantic Ocean Forum was held March 20 at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, New Jersey. Click here for videos and meeting materials.
For More Information
Questions or comments about the Mid-Atlantic Ocean Forum may be directed to email@example.com.